How I feel when trying to determine how different awards-season dates influence the Oscar race. (Also, an excuse for a Taylor Swift GIF, since a calendar GIF would be less fun) (via Harvard)
Today, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS, the motion-picture academy, Oscar voters – take your pick) announced key dates regarding the next ceremony.
I should probably incorporate a calendar into the blog…
But for now, check out the information relevant to this year’s Oscars, a.k.a. the 88th Academy Awards, below.
- Saturday, November 14, 2015 – The Governors Awards
- Wednesday, December 30, 2015 – Nominations voting opens at 8am PT
- Friday, January 8, 2016 – Nominations voting closes at 5pm PT
- Thursday, January 14, 2016 – Oscar Nominations Announcement
- Monday, February 8, 2016 – Oscar Nominees Luncheon
- Friday, February 12, 2016 – Final voting opens at 8am PT
- Saturday, February 13, 2016 – Scientific and Technical Awards
- Tuesday, February 23, 2016 – Final voting closes at 5pm PT
- Oscar Sunday, February 28, 2016 – 88th Academy Awards begins at 7pm ET / 4pm PT
Looking ahead to 2016, the 89th Academy Awards will take place on Feb. 26, 2017. Meanwhile, the 90th Academy Awards will take place on Mar. 4, 2018, as the 2018 Winter Olympics would have interfered with the typical late-February date.