Jane Fonda at Cannes earlier this year (via ABC News)
The Santa Barbara International Film Festival will present its 10th annual Kirk Douglas Award for Excellence in Film to Jane Fonda at a gala dinner at Bacara Resort and Spa on Oct. 3.
Of course, festival tributes often coincide with awards plays, and we awards watchers know that Fonda features in Paolo Sorrentino’s Youth, which scored raves and Oscar buzz at Cannes, and stars Michael Caine, Harvey Keitel, Rachel Weisz, and Paul Dano. Fonda’s performance, though brief, spawned some supporting-actress chatter. The success of Netflix’s Grace and Frankie can’t hurt. Fox Searchlight will give Youth a limited bow on Dec. 4.
Variety reminds us of the previous Kirk Douglas Award winners, only two of whom went on to receive Oscar nominations that same year. The following list highlights those who’ve won the award in the past, as well as their perceived awards plays. Gold indicates that the artist landed an Oscar nomination that year; bold indicates that they landed some other major recognition (BAFTA, guilds, and/or Golden Globes) for those films.
- 2014: Jessica Lange – The Gambler
- 2013: Forest Whitaker – Lee Daniels’ The Butler (acting), Fruitvale Station (producing)
- 2012: Robert De Niro – Silver Linings Playbook
- 2011: Michael Douglas – N/A
- 2010: Harrison Ford – Morning Glory
- 2009: Quentin Tarantino – Inglourious Basterds (directing and writing)
- 2008: Ed Harris – Appaloosa
- 2007: John Travolta – Hairspray
- 2006: Kirk Douglas – N/A
Of course, Youth looks like a major player at this point, so maybe Fonda will make it three out of 10?