A still of Mark Rylance and Tom Hanks in Steven Spielberg’s Bridge of Spies (via Collider)
Steven Spielberg’s Bridge of Spies will premiere at the New York Film Festival. Tom Hanks leads the Cold War thriller, which also features Mark Rylance, Amy Ryan, and Alan Alda, among others.
Spielberg’s last outing, Lincoln (2012), also made its debut at the festival, as a “surprise screening.” Bridge seems to follow a similar formula: Spielberg + historical drama + leading performance from a two-time Oscar winner. We can now add “NYFF world premiere” to that equation. Hanks’ performance hardly looks as “intense” as Daniel Day-Lewis’ Oscar-winning turn, but it’s foolish to completely dismiss Bridge at this point, no?
Also making stops at NYFF are Todd Haynes’ Carol, a hit at Cannes; Michael Moore’s Where to Invade Next, which bows at Toronto; and John Crowley’s Brooklyn, a romantic drama reminiscent of eras past that wowed at Sundance. Robert Zemeckis’ The Walk – a dramatization of Man on Wire (2008) subject Philippe Petit – and Don Cheadle’s Miles Ahead, about jazz icon Miles Davis, will open and close the fest, respectively.
The fest runs from Sept. 25 to Oct. 11. Variety reported the NYFF’s full, 26-film slate, which you can see below. Bold indicates films that may contend for awards throughout the season.
- Opening Night: The Walk (Robert Zemeckis)
- Centerpiece: Steve Jobs (Danny Boyle)
- Closing Night: Miles Ahead (Don Cheadle)
- Arabian Nights: Volume 1, The Restless One (Miguel Gomes)
- Arabian Nights: Volume 2, The Desolate One (Miguel Gomes)
- Arabian Nights: Volume 3, The Enchanted One (Miguel Gomes)
- The Assassin (Hou Hsiao-hsien)
- Bridge of Spies (Steven Spielberg)
- Brooklyn (John Crowley)
- Carol (Todd Haynes)
- Cemetery of Splendour (Apichatpong Weerasethakul)
- Les Cowboys (Thomas Bidegain)
- Don’t Blink: Robert Frank (Laura Israel)
- Experimenter (Michael Almereyda)
- The Forbidden Room (Guy Maddin and Evan Johnson)
- In the Shadow of Women, or L’Ombre des femmes (Phillipe Garrel)
- Journey to the Shore, or Kishibe no tabi (Kiyoshi Kurosawa)
- The Lobster (Yorgos Lanthimos)
- Maggie’s Plan (Rebecca Miller)
- The Measure of a Man, or La Loi du marché (Stéphane Brizé)
- Mia Madre (Nanni Moretti)
- Microbe & Gasoline, or Microbe et Gasoil (Michel Gondry)
- Mountains May Depart (Jia Zhangke)
- My Golden Days, or Trois Souvenirs de ma jeunesse (Arnaud Desplechin)
- No Home Movie (Chantal Akerman)
- Right Now, Wrong Then (Hong Sangsoo)
- The Treasure, or Comoara (Corneliu Porumboiu)
- Where to Invade Next (Michael Moore)