With a take of $26.36 million, Straight Outta Compton enjoys a second weekend on top. This exceeds the debuts of all three new wide releases (Sinister 2 – $10.54 million, Hitman Agent 47 – $8.33 million, American Ultra – $5.45 million) combined, more than doubles the weekend grab of runner-up Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation ($11.45 million), and can only help its Oscar campaign as awards season is right around the corner.
At the specialty box office, Paul Weitz’s Grandma $115,540 from four locations. Lily Tomlin has scored fantastic notices for her work in the Sundance dramedy. That the word “Oscar” pops up in a lot of reviews means critics hope this small film gets Tomlin to the podium – or at least to the Dolby. But will she stand out enough for that to happen? An Emmy win for Grace and Frankie next month could certainly boost her campaign.
Check out the weekend top 10 below.
- Straight Outta Compton: $26.36 million
- Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation: $11.45 million
- NEW!!! Sinister 2: $10.54 million
- NEW!!! Hitman Agent 47: $8.33 million
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: $7.32 million
- NEW!!! American Ultra: $5.45 million
- The Gift: $4.28 million
- Ant-Man: $4.055 million
- Minions: $3.83 million
- Fantastic Four: $3.73 million