Angelina Jolie Pitt’s marital drama By the Sea will open the AFI Fest, which runs from Nov. 5 through Nov. 12. The film centers on a dancer and her writer husband (Jolie Pitt and real-life husband Brad Pitt, respectively) as they travel France during a rut in their marriage in the mid-1970s. Universal Pictures will give By the Sea a nationwide release on Nov. 13.
Awards Watch reminds us of the last five films to kick off AFI – none of which received major Oscar attention when all was said and done. Bold indicates films recognized by the motion-picture academy:
- 2014: A Most Violent Year (Golden Globe-nominated for supporting actress)
- 2013: Saving Mr. Banks (nominated for original score)
- 2012: Hitchcock (nominated for makeup and hairstyling)
- 2011: J. Edgar (Golden Globe-nominated for drama actor; SAG-nominated for leading male actor and supporting male actor)
- 2010: Love and Other Drugs (Golden Globe-nominated for comedy/musical actress and actor)