The Mill Valley Film Festival will honor Brie Larson with its Spotlight Award. Awards Watch notes that the fest will also host the California premiere of Lenny Abrahamson’s Room, which Larson leads. She joins Sarah Silverman, who leads Adam Salky’s Broad Green Pictures-distributed drama I Smile Back, as a Spotlight winner.
Larson, perhaps best known to moviegoers for 21 Jump Street (2012) and this year’s Trainwreck, landed Indie Spirit and Online Film Critics Society nominations for her leading turn in Short Term 12 (2013). She may hit the circuit for Room, as several recent Spotlight Award winners have gone on to Oscar bids in recent years. Bold indicates actors nominated in the years that they won this honor, while gold indicates winners:
- 2014: Elle Fanning (Low Down), Eddie Redmayne (won best actor for The Theory of Everything)
- 2013: Jared Leto (won best supporting actor for Dallas Buyers Club)
- 2012: Billy Bob Thornton (Jayne Mansfield’s Car, which he also directed and wrote)
- 2011: Ezra Miller (We Need to Talk About Kevin), Elizabeth Olsen (Martha Marcy May Marelene), Michelle Yeoh (The Lady)
- 2010: James Franco (nominated for best actor for 127 Hours)
Room, distributed by A24, hits select locations in the United States on Oct. 16 – the same day Sony Pictures Classics begins its rollout of James Vanderbilt’s Truth.
The Mill Valley Film Festival runs from Oct. 8 to Oct 18, 2015.