Madina Nalwanga (left) and Lupita Nyong’o (right) in Mira Nair’s Queen of Katwe (via Entertainment Weekly)… I usually try to find decent photos of only the actor in question for these profiles, but there weren’t any, since Nalwanga is an upstart
About the Film
Role: Phiona Mutesi, a Ugandan chess prodigy who becomes a Woman Candidate Master after her performances at World Chess Olympiads
U.S. Distributor: Buena Vista/Disney
U.S. Release Date: Sept. 23, 2016 (limited); Sept. 30, 2016 (wide)
U.S. Box Office: TBD
Why? Disney may be eying Oscar gold with this sports drama. Nyong’o, who features as the mother and produces, will surely campaign for this one if there’s any shot at Oscar glory. Remember how her Cinderella story helped her win in 2013? Maybe she can help work that same kind of magic for another newcomer.
Why not? Katwe could be your typical Disney sports flick – admittedly with a sport that’s more mental than physical.
Ranking: No. 16 as of Apr. 17, 2016
See also (coming soon):
- Best Picture 2016: Queen of Katwe
- Best Director 2016: Mira Nair for Queen of Katwe
- Best Supporting Actress 2016: Lupita Nyong’o for Queen of Katwe
- Best Supporting Actor 2016: David Oyelow for Queen of Katwe
- Best Adapted Screenplay 2015: William Wheeler for Queen of Katwe