A photo of Bennett Miller on the set of Foxcatcher (via IMDb).
Bennett Miller could win this for Foxcatcher, but it’s hardly a done deal – for him or for anyone else. The New York Film Festival kicks off near the end of the month with David Fincher‘s Gone Girl – and features Paul Thomas Anderson‘s Inherent Vice as its centerpiece selection. And there’s the AFI Festival – which might see the first official screenings of Tim Burton‘s Big Eyes, Ava DuVernay‘s Selma, and Christopher Nolan‘s Interstellar, among others – after that. Where might Stephen Daldry fit into the season?
BEST DIRECTOR PREDICTIONS (as of Sept. 14)
My “official” top five includes only films/performances that already have distributors for release in the United States. I also hope to write/post pages for each contender in the near future. The process of guessing who’ll get in and who won’t always seems to be collaborative, so feel free to leave a comment – here or on Twitter – that addresses any relevant information you don’t see on the page and/or any corrections I need to make.
Bennett Miller for Foxcatcher (more)
David Fincher for Gone Girl (more)
Richard Linklater for Boyhood (more)
Morten Tyldum for The Imitation Game (more)
Alejandro González Iñárritu for Birdman (more)
Next in line?
- Christopher Nolan for Interstellar
- Angelina Jolie for Unbroken (more)
- Stephen Daldry for Trash (more)
- Ava DuVernay for Selma (more)
- James Marsh for The Theory of Everything (more)
- Tim Burton for Big Eyes (more)
- Mike Leigh for Mr. Turner (more)
- Jean-Marc Vallée for Wild (more)
- Theodore Melfi for St. Vincent (more)
- Paul Thomas Anderson for Inherent Vice (more)
- Wes Anderson for The Grand Budapest Hotel (more)
- Rob Marshall for Into the Woods (more)
- J.C. Chandor for A Most Violent Year (more)
- David Ayer for Fury (more)
- Ira Sachs for Love is Strange (more)
- Matthew Warchus for Pride (more)
- Clint Eastwood for American Sniper (more)
- Tommy Lee Jones for The Homesman (more)
- Rupert Wyatt for The Gambler (more)
- Jon Stewart for Rosewater (more)
Other Potential Contenders
- Susanne Bier for Serena (more)
- Michael Cuesta for Kill the Messenger (more)